Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Muddy Summer Dog’s Dream

Maggie spent part of Midsummer’s Eve in Standiford Creek on Smith Farm. Maggie loves flinging herself into a creek. She loves to get wet and muddy.

All the hay has been cut and baled, so I can walk the hayfields with Maggie. However, I dream of walking the trails, but I can't do that yet. They're overgrown with weeds, and the bush-hog needs repair.

The high weeds, of course, are filled with poison ivy, ticks, chiggers, and the occasional snake. Thus, I can't safely meander through the bottoms and up the hills to the old graveyards. All the best places on the farm will have to wait.

From the field, however, I can get glimpses into the woods. The ferns along the creek bank are as lush this summer as I’ve ever seen them. There’s a dreamlike quality to them when the sun is close to setting. A border collie amongst the ferns only adds to the magical quality of the dream.


Enchanting, isn’t it?

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

lucky dog... lucky dog...

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home